Week 2 Progress

This week I focused on finishing the wooden track model on SolidWorks. We ran into some complications on the split portion. The problem was how to support split weight on the track. We decided to use lift cables to carry the weight and hold it in place in the same plane as the rest of the track. The idea was to attached the cable on to the dead end support and vertically mounted to weight on the ground.

We decided to use steel U bolts to mount the cable to the split portion of the track.

I also made a SolidWorks model to show how to attach the guide rail on to the columns. The idea was simply a bolted joint.


Then, I moved on to designing the Steel Full Scale structure. I used the same beams parts from the wooden SolidWorks model and converted into steel, and designed Gusset plates to strongly mount the joint of the beams and brace support. I used simple beams to make track structure because it makes easier to do the FEA analysis on the structure. I performed an Static analysis on the current design and got a factor of safety of 11. Thermal Analysis is on progress.

However, after the presentation I will design a more detailed structure in SolidWorks, and presented it on the last presentation. I attached a picture of the Steel track structure below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week#4 Progress

Week 3 progress

Orientation Day #2